Thursday, September 11, 2008

Dates

I will never forget September 11, 2001. The details are etched in my brain. I was working for the Veteran's Administration of all places, and my co-worker called me to turn on the t.v. She was afraid to drive in over the Golden Gate Bridge, so I told her of course, stay home, and I went in. I was the only one in the office who lived in town. My former mother-in-law was afraid for me, but I doubted that the V.A. hospital was a major target.

As I drove in someone in the parking lot complained that I didn't pull my car in far enough, going on and on. My car was still in motion, I was pulling in slowly. I was thinking "how can you be so rude and petty, after what has happened"? As she walked away I realized that she hadn't heard the news yet. I was working in the Media department and was able to watch all the major news stations at once. People drifted in and out all day in shock.

What is amazing now that it was seven years ago. Time has marched on. I don't know why it is so weird to me, but my father died earlier that year. It just seems to put another big distance between us to think that he didn't experience that major event.

No comments: