Friday, February 22, 2008

The Little Package That Could

Once there was a cute little package from Canada. She was a happy little package filled with special treats for a knitter in the U.S.A. She had yarn, notecards, a magnet, and the cutest felted flower you ever saw. But that's not all, she also treats for the knitter to eat: lollipops, chocolate, and a great big Hershey's Kiss.


She bounced happily along in the Canada Post system until all of sudden the truck stopped with a jerk. "Everybody out!" the U.S. Customs official yelled. The package was stuck in a corner for a week. The yarn and goodies were really sad. "What is the good little knitter on the other side of the border going to do without her Valentine treats?". The package said "don't worry, I'll get us out of here."

Just then a U.S. Postal worker walked by. "Please kind postal worker won't you put me onto an airplane. You can see I am marked 'Air Mail', and the good little knitter needs her chocolate badly". The Postal worker tossed her onto a truck. The yarn and goodies were ready to cry. "We're going to miss Valentine's Day!"

The package said "don't worry, before you know it we'll be in California," and they were. The yarn and goodies cheered. The package made her way to the local sorting facility and saw a shiny semi truck. "Please kind truck, won't you please deliver us to the good littler knitter, we missed Valentine's Day, but we can make her birthday if you hurry." But the truck said "I am a big semi, I only deliver big loads of packages to the local post offices."

The yarn and goodies were fed up, they missed the birthday. The package arrived at the local post office and said to the nearest letter carrier "This is ridiculous. The good little knitter and the kind knitter who sent the package are getting worried that we are lost. Please deliver us at once."

He ignored her. "You're just going to have to get in another carrier's bag" the goodies said. "But I don't know if I can jump so far. I am only a little package." She waited and saw a fast looking letter carrier coming her way. She mustered all her strength and said "I think I can. I think I can" and hopped out the bin and into the bag. You could hear her say "I thought I could. I thought I could" as the letter carrier rang the knitter's doorbell.

"Hurray!!" shouted the good little knitter as she opened the package. "The thoughtful knitter made my day with the cute little package full of goodies." And she caressed the alpaca blend yarn dreaming of what it would become.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Gee, I guess you have had a bit of an overdose of The Little Engine That Could! The goodies were well worth the wait.