Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Kristin Lavransdatter III - The Cross

Just a quick follow-up about Kristin Lavransdatter - I finished reading "The Cross", which covers the final part of Kristin's life.

I've been thinking a lot about this fictitious woman and her life. I remember the historic buildings I saw at the Folk Museum in Oslo and can almost picture her in the storehouse, or at the fire. There is photo of the cathedral in Nidaros in the latest Norway.com magazine and I wonder what it looked like when she was there. Then I remember she wasn't a real person. The books describe Kristin and her surroundings in such detail that it's hard to remember she wasn't real.

I have a lot more to say about the saga, it made quite an impression on me. I just can't get a quiet moment to write my thoughts down. What I like the most is that it makes me wonder what it would have been like live then. And the realization that people not only lived differently than we do, they thought differently, too. Their world was so different.

No comments: