Saturday, January 28, 2006

The Knitting Olympics

I've decided to join the Knitting Olympics. My challenge is to make this sweater between Feb 10th and the 26th.

It's a Dale of Norway cardigan, a base for a child's bunad*, done in Baby Ull on size 0 and 1 needles. I expect it to be quite difficult due to the color stranding, the needles, and the fact that it is the most complicated garment I will have made. Or made successfully.


*a bunad is Norwegian regional folk clothing, worn on special occasions. Adults only wear bunader from their part of Norway, while children often wear a more generic bunad consisting of black skirt or pants, white shirt and something red. Actually, no bunad contains a knitted garment, but the colors of the sweater are bunad-like. You can read about bunads at Husfliden. I hope to order mine at the local Husfliden when we go to Norway in April.

3 comments:

Theresa said...

Hello! I'm so pleased (and so not worthy) to be placed between the Manolo and Amalah over there! I'll definitely be following along on the baby bunad and would like to formally invite you to get in touch with me if you'll be near Oslo during your visit to Norway! :o)

Anonymous said...

Are you making a clown sweater in the knitting olympics as well?

Janice said...

No, but that's sounds like a great gift for your next birthday!